Sunday, October 05, 2008

Johnny Rumble:
Acting As An Actor

"He's such a smart person.  He just needs to act like it."

The above words were uttered about me from a 17 year old girl to her mother after I spent an evening with that family.  They could never ring truer or make me smirk bigger than previously possible.

Well, except for that one time.  But I don't talk about that.

I've always been one to see the world as a grand stage and all the people in as the other actors and actresses or audience members.  Ever since I read To Kill A Mockingbird and became enamored with Dolphus Raymond, I have taken a direct view of keeping my thinking patterns and processes capped underneath a freewheeling, foul-mouthed and straight talking idiot.  I always revert to this character when confronted with a large group of people, and it keeps the expectations of me keep to a low enough threshold that I can continue to do what I love to do.  Observe.  Comprehend.  Understand.

In big group discussions, I don't necessarily have to join in anymore, or create flaming controveresy among the crowd.  I get to watch the converstion float from topic to topic, day to day, month to month, and birthday to birthday.  Keeping my radical and sometimes inflammitory views to myself allows those around me to feel more comfortable.  Like, maybe he's just, you know, like, one of us. 

Acting Out,

Johnny Rumble

3 comments:

  1. nice post

    i'm the opposite. the show goes on and at the end of the nite i'm like: all i want out of life is boobs and dope. what was THAT all about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. right, it's called survival instinct

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boobs and Dope. Nothing better! Haha.

    ReplyDelete