Friday, January 16, 2009

Johnny Rumble:
Corners and "The Corkscrew"

Whenever I get in a depressive, dark and down mood, I like to think about corners. Road corners. Finding the proper line through 90 degree bends, off-camber switchbacks, banked ovals and blind sweeping right handers. The kind where you don't what's five feet down the road. All I can usually hope for is that there isn't another enthusiast coming round that same bend, tucked on the inside, tires barely hanging off the side of the pavement and inadvertantly plowing head on into me. On the other hand, I would be a decent way to go.

But regardless of my ultimate fate, I think about corners a lot. There's on particular corner on my usual street raceway that has always plagued me. It's a blind sweeping right hander with six foot tall bushes on the inside and barb wire fencing on the other. I've never been brave enough to put my foot throught the floorboard and tackle the corner at full boil. Never done, and probably never will be able to.

I'd like to think I'd have the exact same problem at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. The infamous and terrifying "Corkscrew." Blind entrance to the left, blind apex, and one hell of a hanging-by-the-shoulder-straps drop off into a blackout enducing right bend. I should aim at a tree and hang on. I acctually slam my asshole shut and pray.

Twist and Shout,

Johnny Rumble

No comments:

Post a Comment