Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Johnny Rumble:
Location

The question, "Where are you from?" or "What's your hometown?" generally arises pretty early in any conversation with a new person or persons.  I always try to answer truthfully.

"Detroit," or "OKC," or "Iceland," are usually the first things to cross my lips, depending on who I am talking to, what we were just talking about or any of the many thousands of factors that plays through my mind as conversations and lies unfold.  I can't give you a real answer about why I have a selection of "hometowns," but if I hads to venture a guess, it would be all the moving and traveling I did as a child. It never grounded me to one place. I became a gypsy of sorts. Forever looking for something better, a greener grass, never settling.  This has been creeping back into my mind now that I'm back in familiar terrain, looking at familiar faces, familiar buildings, roads.  I haven't been here six months and I'm already thinking about the next location, the greener grass.

I praise my child, and nurture him, with the hope that he may never grow up, to keep looking.  I'm not sure how much longer I can stay a child, to stay with my child hope and my child thoughts.

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child, When I became a man I put aside my childish ways...,"

Johnny Rumble

No comments:

Post a Comment