Thursday, October 07, 2010

Trav: Character Sketch 1

Hey All, so whats up? FYI if anyone actually gives a shit, I got myself a twitter, so I can at least think I'm important in my own mind. But what is new: well I'm not gonna graduate in the spring, instead its pushed back at semester, so now I'm gonna leave in the Summer WOOT. Yeah Dude summer, which means less time to find a job and all but hey who said life's perfect? So I realized that this semester has left me negligent in posting, but really how many actually read this, maybe respond on twitter or via a comment here? Just to let us know if we actually get any visitors. So for fiction class we've had to write just a simple couple of assignments to start off, and I think its not too bad, certainly I think it has potential for more and I've had a couple of ideas swirling around in my head since I handed it in this afternoon, so I figure that's a good sign right? RIght?So here we go:

The harsh sunlight beat past the bedroom’s blinds. The figure on the bed lay covered in sheets. Curled up in the fetal position they lazily pulled the top of the sheets over their head. Trying to fight off the growing sense of alertness the alarm’s droning buzz sounded. a new day of suck awaited after toggling the alarm off and padding into the bathroom.
Squinting as the light came on Kay gave herself a once over in the
mirror as she brushed her teeth. She gave herself the most cursory floss and ran the shower. Kay was not overtly concerned with feminine things like make up and so a shower was about five minutes even when she washed her hair. Grabbing hair goop by the sink she worked a bit of it into her hair, twisting the ends into spikes.
Once she dressed she went over to little Miriam to wake her up. Waking up Miriam was never exactly the same, some mornings the little one would already be up and walking around in circles trying to open the drawers and other times would still be out like a rock and a dreadful wailing sounded upon wake up. How dare the princess sleep be disturbed over a mere car ride. Kay fixed breakfast for Miriam and collected her work stuff. Fixed breakfast was stretching it she thought, I’m peeling open a pop-tart and pouring a glass of OJ, soon enough she’ll be doing this without me. “Honey would you be willing to try the clock again, there’s types that you can wake up to your favorite songs, that would be fun wouldn’t it?”
Miriam picked at her food, thinking. “Maybe Mom, but are you sure it doesn’t squawk or make that really loud train noise?” The two got into Kay’s car and set off for work.

Across town Kurt had arrived at his new job and took a moment to take in the scenery. What little color there was was faded on the wall with the sides bare bricks and mortor. The rear door was though a narrow choke point between one end of the compound and a larger much older building. He had had to maneuver so carefully to avoid denting his frame but since he was early he had his choice of parking spaces. It’s gonna get annoying if each owner and their gaggle of employees parks back here. Why did she say I had to park back here again anyway? As he thought about the parking as he unlocked the door chains and let himself into the club.
The ‘First Stone” was a hole in the wall alright. It made no pretensions of any other snobbery. The woman who ran the place seemed nice enough and had mentioned she’d be bringing her kid by most mornings to keep up her schooling. He’d been told he wouldn’t have to watch or keep the brat entertained but he’d keep a wary eye out for little toes. Kurt got the place ready, wiping down the counter and setting out all the bottles while he waited for Kay to show up and further explain his duties. Presumably tonight’s scheduled band would roll in and do sound check and at some point patrons would arrive and he’d be behind the bar for the rest of the night. Well so long as he doesn’t have to deal with the brat or crack another bottle over a drunk again, it’ll be a rocking night.



There we have it: Woot

1 comment:

  1. As Rumble's... well I GF... I think that's what I am... I like it and want another page to turn... This is to let you know people read all the time just not always leaving a trace

    ReplyDelete