Sunday, March 06, 2011

Johnny Rumble:
Every Day Is Sunday

...when you're unemployed.  So what's the first thing I do the day after I leave my Oil Change job?  I clean my electronic paperweight of a PC and re-create partitions on my drives that I've been meaning to do for the past three years.  I gained one hundred-and-seventeen extra gigs of storage space on D:.  I cleaned the drives, blew out the dust, scrubbed the software, killed the crawlers and polished the blue glowing turd back to some sort of crippled life.  It's out of the ICU and into General.

I'm geeking out of my skull right now, remembering all the porgramming and editing I did to this machine.  Remembering the menus and menus and sub-menus of Windows XP, navigating around, reducing the Page File from four to one gigabite and shoving it kicking and screaming on to the new partition.

I slapped a go-fast sticker from AMS Oil on to the chassis, hoping for that fabled "sticker-horsepower" effect.

I've forgotten what it's like to maintain computers and tempremental servers.  Thier like small children, constantly screaming in the long metal tube known as the coach section of your favorite local airliner while it climbs from sea level to thirty-thousand feet.  And magically, they stop, for one small moment, life is good.

Then XP pisses all over your shoes,

Johnny Rumble

No comments:

Post a Comment