Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Johnny Rumble:
Busted Bumper

Theres a Merc S600 Lorinser sitting in the shop right now, the bumper is broken, busted by us, the employees of The Company, broken on a piece of curbing, it was sitting to low when we backed it up.  Broke the lower valence, a some of the Slot A into Tab B connectors.  The paint got chipped, and it's Jet Merc Black.

We'd already broken a center cap, replacement cost: $180.

This is probably going to cost around $4000 to fix all told.  New front aero, new matched paint, install, all that shit.  I got thinking about it though, started to poke in and around, shining my new $150 flashlight into places and all the training I had in bodywork started to flood back.  I thought about the C-10, the Buick, the Power Wagon, the Cobra.  I remembered the motions of the sanding blocks, the smell of primer dust, the proportions of of hardener to glaze coat,  I remembered it all.

I looked at it, and figured the fix could be done in my garage for maybe $500 bucks.  Glue the crack and carefully fiberglass mat the back side for strength, sand, sand, sand, sand, prime, sand, sand, paint, clearcoat, sand, clearcoat, and call it good, because the orange peel on the rest of the body is pretty shit anyway.

I told my manager that it could probably fixed right here in The Company's shop, but not painted, he gave me this look "Do you really do bodywork?" and I wondered if anybody really reads the resumes people hand over at interviews,

Johnny Rumble

No comments:

Post a Comment